Friday, January 31, 2014

The Power of Positive Thinking

Dad recently assigned me the book "The Power of Positive Thinking" to read and so I have been reading an awful lot today. Though I am only about 50 pages through it, I am enjoying it a lot. Norman Vincent Peale (the author) is very religious and believes that words of the Lord can help change the way people think and how they live their lives. He uses many prayers and Bible passages to help people change their lives and ways of thinking.

To pull people out of depression and discouragement, he recommends writing down a list of GOOD things about yourself to review when you feel down to remind yourself of the assets that you still have- even if life is seemingly pushing you down. A good relaxing and brain-clearing tip given in the book is to take 15 minutes out of every day and go to a quiet place and relax in silence- no reading, no looking, no playing, no doing anything. Just relaxing in silence.

I am definitely going to try a few of the tips I pick up in this book. I find them very good ones, and I hope they work as well as the book describes. I have already made a list of my "assets" so that if I feel down, I can look at it to cheer me up (though my family does a good job of that). If you have any calming tips or good books to recommend, let me know in the comments.

Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment