Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Fondant

I have firmly decided that I HATE fondant. My first class in fondant started yesterday- all I see fondant as is a messy, hard to work with, and not to mention disgusting tasting. I spent 2 hours working on ONE decoration. I think it is a waste of time- it becomes rock hard, so it makes it hard to eat when put on a cake. It also tastes terrible, so while you might get a lot of compliments on how pretty your cake is, no one will actually EAT your cake. To me, the best part of baking is watching others enjoy what I have made- I can achieve a beautiful cake that is still edible by using icing.

Also, when working with fondant, you often have to use a wonderful little confection called gum paste. For those who don't know what gum paste is, I'll shorten down the description: A block of white, sticky stuff to make your fondant more durable and to make it harden better. It comes in a plastic ziplock bag and is very tricky to break off a piece, let alone work it into the fondant. In the end, I got a really pretty bow that is currently hardening in my kitchen... but I doubt I'll ever use it on a cake for the reasons mentioned above.

If any of my readers use fondant frequently and have any tips for me, PLEASE leave them in the comments. It would be much appreciated.

Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment