Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Hancock Hike

Today, I took a short hike through a small town called Hancock with a handful of other local girls. During the hike, we took turns reading excerpts from the book To Build A Fire by Jack London. We hiked from the library in Hancock to the woods behind the school, and there we collected dry wood and birch bark to build our very own fire!

Our group leader, Susie, showed us what types of sticks and bark we needed to build our fire. Once we gathered all the twigs we needed, we cleared a nice patch to build our fire. Once we had our fire going, we roasted marshmallows and made s'mores. Then, we put our fire out by dumping snow on it and stamping on it.

In it all, I made a friend named Aria. Some of the smaller notes of the day included sliding down the hill to the woods on my back, since the snow was thick enough. Everyone slid down, even the adults. I also, before the hike, learned how to ice skate at a rink in a nearby town. My nanny, Nancy, helped me learn by tying milk crates together. I am now a pretty good skater.
Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment