Monday, September 2, 2013

Happy Labor Day!

Happy Labor Day! There is one thing I do not get about this holiday, and that is it's name. Why is it called Labor Day if you get the day off? It should be called something more realistic, like Un-Labor Day or something. But I decided to do a little research on today and find out why it is called what it is... Give me a moment, I am Googling.


Wow... Labor Day started a looooooooooooooong time ago. It started when children employed at a silk mill in 1835 stood up and went on a strike for the day. From there on in, every Labor Day people went on a strike.

Finally, in 1970 when the mail worker went on strike and no mail was delivered, President Nixon declared a state of national emergency. Since then, Labor Day has usually been the last weekend of summer for everyone to remind us of the labors we must go back to- adults to work, and children to school (except for me, I always do school!).

Well, you learn something new every day, huh? I never would have thought that that was the reason. I hope everyone reading this learned a little something... I know I did.

Maddie


No comments:

Post a Comment