Thursday, September 26, 2013

Ways to Conquer a Cold- WITHOUT Medicine!!!

I don't know about my readers, but I do NOT like medicine. It is usually horrible tasting, gloppy, and doesn't work well. Whenever I get sick, I like to try my own methods to cure the cold before going to the cabinet for medicine. So far, my tricks have worked- I was sick yesterday, and today I feel a hundred times better! Here are the steps you need to take to get rid of the common cold:

  1. Clean your ears with hydrogen peroxide. Take a tissue, wet the end of it with hydrogen peroxide, and then squeeze a drop into your ear. Keep your head tilted to the side. You should hear a fizzling sound and feel the peroxide tingling in your ear. Don't worry, it just means it is doing it's job. When the noise stops, tilt your head to get the remainder of the peroxide out and then repeat with the other ear.
  2. For sore throats, I can recommend nothing better than honey. Take about 1 1/2 teaspoons of it and it will make you able to swallow without hurting again! It coats your throat, just like medicine, but it has a nicer flavor AND is natural.
  3. Sleep. Sleep, sleep, sleep. I did the above and then slept in, and today- no more cold. One last thing- these remedies will not work if you snirch (as in don't blow your nose.) I managed to avoid getting mucus in my throat by blowing my nose no matter what.
  4. Use a humidifier. I recommend a cool mist humidifier and leaving it on in your room with the door closed for about 4 hours. Then, go to sleep and your nose should be clear.
  5. Use Vicks Vaporub. I like using the cream and rubbing it around my nose and the underside of my throat. It opens up my sinuses, and helps me clear my nose.
Well, that's how I beat back my cold! And I didn't use a drop of yucky medicine.... bleh! However, if you have a fever, you SHOULD take medicine, otherwise it could be dangerous. I advise to only use the above method if your cold has just begun and you want to stop it in it's tracks.

Hope this was helpful,
Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment