Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Re-Post From Absolute Animals

Hello, since it is late I am putting up an old Absolute Animal post I wrote on the Green Moray eel. I saw it in an aquarium once and it inspired me to blog about it. If you haven't checked out my animal blog yet, please check it out now at www.absoluteanimals.blogspot.com.



Doesn't that thing look creepy? And doesn't it remind you of a plasticky hand puppet? But this thing is real. And the "thing" is called a green moray eel. They are found in the Western Atlantic along New Jersey shores. (This explains why the aquarium in NJ I went to had one. When I first saw the thing, I almost laughed because I thought it was fake. That is how bright green the eel was.)

The smallest moray eel is only 4.5 inches long. Don't mistake this eel for tiny, though. Some of the bigger ones can grow to be 13 feet in length and weigh 66 pounds. Even when they are this big, though, morays will hunt in large groups. The invitation to hunt with an eel is a shake of a head. The bad thing about being in a group of morays is lack of ability to drive small critters out of crevices.

Most people think of morays as vicious, annoying creatures. But in reality, morays are actually shy creatures that would rather hide in a crevice than come up and fight. The only times a moray would attack a human would be mistaken identity or self defense. These creatures are gentle giants.

Please check out my blog by clicking the link above! That's all for today.... I will blog more tomorrow.

Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment