Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Google Glass

There is a new technology product coming out this year- Google Glass. Everyone seems to be talking about it (even my Dad), so I figured I'd say my piece on it.

What is 'Google Glass'?
Google Glass is this cool pair of glasses that can comprehend voice commands, kind of like Siri for many iProducts does. Whatever you search on Google pops up right in front of your eyes as you are wearing the glasses. You can even video chat people and text message them! The Glass also gives you directions, music, videos, internet access, and SO much more. However, I am wondering about safety.....

Many argue that the glasses will cut down on car accidents, because people texting on their phones look down, and with this, you can just look straight forward. I, however, DO NOT agree. How safe can you be if it is IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES!? I know that on my iPod, when I get a new message, my screen turns on. So what about Google Glass? Here is an example:

You are driving along the road, wearing your newly bought pair of Google Glasses. You just finished telling your friends your new text message address and blah blah blah. Suddenly, your friend messages you and the world goes dark. All you can see is a big red message that says: You have received: 1 new text message. As you are trying to figure out how to get it to turn off, you forget you are driving and crash into a tree.

That sounds safe to me.... another issue that has come up with the glasses are the safety issues. A few places in the US have already banned the glasses as they think they are too dangerous, and that if people have these glasses, they can be spied on too easy. I agree with this argument... I would hate to think that I am being filmed everywhere I go. That is just downright creepy.

I do think that these glasses are cool, and despite the safety issues would like to have a pair when they come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment