Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Appreciating the Tiny Things

For those who don't know, I have a pet toad that I caught in my yard. To keep him alive, I feed him crickets (bought at the pet store in the winter). To keep the crickets alive and healthy (and with loads of nutrients so that the toad gets good fibers and minerals), I feed them bits of cooked potato, carrot, and meat. This week I had been neglecting the crickets a bit as I am busy with homework. Today I finally got around to feeding them and it actually touched my heart to see them come scrambling out from underneath the egg carton that serves as their home to eat the bits of potato.

Too often in life we don't stop to enjoy the little things- so today I decided I would try to observe the smaller things in life rather than the big and unnecessary. I enjoyed looking through old FaceBook pictures with my sister, letting her do my hair... I enjoyed having a good hot bowl of soup and the wonderful chat with my grandma and sister... and I look forward to a nice phone call from my Dad later tonight.

I challenge ANYONE WHO READS THIS to spend one day looking for only the small pleasures and treasures in life. If you take time to notice a beautiful sunset, good. If you spend time with your family, awesome! Let me know in the comments what you found in your day, and if it improved your mood in any way. By taking time to notice the tiny things, I found myself a lot happier today.

Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment