Wednesday, July 3, 2013

July 4th- What are YOU doing?

Tomorrow is July 4th- National Independence Day. I like this holiday only because I get a day off from school- other than that, it doesn't mean much to me. My family basically just sleeps in on the 4th, has a small breakfast, and then slouches about the house all day. On occasion we take a drive around looking for fireworks, but that is about it. Tomorrow night, we are going to my mom's for dinner. I made another layer cake- this time red, white and blue in honor of the flag. Here is how to make it:

You Will Need:
1 box Pilsbury Moist Deluxe White Cake Mix
1 tub Pilsbury Fluffy White Vanilla Frosting
About 1/4 cup chocolate sprinkles/jimmies
3 Large White Eggs
1 cup water
1/3 cup Crisco Vegetable Oil
2 tubes red and white Gel Food Coloring

Prep: 
Prepare the cake using the directions on the box. Make sure you are using a round cake pan, or else it will not work. Divide the cake batter into 3 parts in 3 separate bowls. Use the blue food coloring to make one bowl of batter blue, and then use the red coloring to make a second bowl red. The third, leave plain. First, pour the blue layer into the bottom of the pan, making sure to cover the metal bottom completely.

Next, carefully pour on your plain batter. Spread it evenly on top of the blue batter, making sure not to poke or mix the colors. Finally, pour your red mix on top of your plain and spread it VERY carefully. Then, put your cake in the oven for 45 minutes or until pulling apart from the edge of the cake pan. Make sure to do the toothpick test as well- sometimes cakes can look completely done, even burned-but can be sludgy and un-cooked in the center.


Now-my question for my readers is this: What do you like to do on July 4th? Be it slouching about and relaxing or throwing a raging bbq, let me know in the comments. My family will be out watching fireworks and eating a home-cooked meal... what will yours be doing?

Maddie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maddie,

    I enjoyed my holiday very much. My highlights were taking you and Ashleigh to the park, and then swimming at the lake. Dinner at Mommy's was nice and I also enjoyed relaxing in her back yard. Overall, a good day!

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete