Tuesday, June 18, 2013

News

A few weeks ago, my mom gave me some very exciting news- my aunt Della from England is coming over! I am very excited to meet her, because the last time I saw her I was about 1 month old.... so I remember literally NOTHING. I am always happy to meet new members of my family though.

My aunt Della is actually coming THIS Sunday! She will be staying with my mom in Jaffrey for about 2 1/2 weeks. On Sunday night, (as long as she is not too tired), Grandma, Ash, Dad and I were going to stop over to say hi. I'm even baking a batch of brownies for them!

Speaking of baking, I wanted to put up my Grandma's Chicken Pot Pie recipe.... unfortunately, she is already in bed, and therefore I will have to put it up in tomorrow's post. But until then, here is a great recipe for meringues.

You Will Need:
3 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
2 to 3 drops assorted gel food coloring

Prep:
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with foil.
In a large bowl, whip egg whites with electric mixer until soft peaks form. With mixer on, slowly add sugar, a tablespoon at a time. Add cream of tartar, vanilla or almond extract, and the gel food coloring. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
Spoon mounds (about 2 tbsp each) onto foil-lined cookie sheets; space them about 1/2 inch apart.
Place both cookie sheets on the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour. Then, turn off oven and leave oven door closed for 10 minutes.
Remove meringues from baking sheets once cooled and store in an airtight container.

*WARNING: Anyone with allergies to egg should not eat meringues as they are mainly made from egg.

You know, the cookbook this recipe is in is the very first one I ever got- the one that inspired me to bake. I got it from my aunt Michelle a few years back, and since then it has been at my side giving me many delicious recipes. I am always going to keep this cookbook, regardless of how "girly-girly" it is. Thank you very much Aunt Michelle.

Maddie



No comments:

Post a Comment