Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My Karate Story

Today I thought I would blog about karate and each of my different schools. My first karate school was Mercer Academy of Martial Arts, in Ewing, NJ. I started in this school when I was 3. Up until I was 6, me and my family (then my mom and dad) lived in Pennington NJ. So I would take a 30 minute drive down into Ewing for karate lessons in the Little Dragons Class. Little Dragons was a class made specifically for 3-5 year olds. I excelled fast, and though the games were fun, I was moved up into the older kid's class. I left with a blue belt. It was a completely different system- Tang Soo Do, which is traditional Korean fighting.

When I was about 6, me and my family moved to NH. I found my first school there, Evan's Kenpo Karate. I had to start over my training from white belt. I achieved my blue belt there too before we quit. We quit because the karate system that Evan's had was very unfair to homeschooled kids like myself. The way you earned your belt was by bringing in good report cards... Not by doing GOOD karate. There were a few arguments between my parents and my sensei, resulting in us quitting to find a better school.

Then, we found USA karate. I remember me and Dad going in for an interview with Hanshi and I remember being super nervous. But we got in, and Hanshi let me keep my previous belt! I then went on to make a lot of new friends, and only 3 years later, earn my black belt at age 10. I am still at USA karate, and it is the best karate school I have ever been in. There are also a ton of fun tournaments to compete in. Neither of my old schools had this.

This is about it for this post... wait. One last thing to do.

Thank you Mrs. Armenti for the kind comments on my posts on baking and singing :)

Bye for today,
Maddie


3 comments:

  1. WOW!! THAT IS A AWESOME STORY IS THERE PART 2??? :DDDDDDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly no, but I am glad you enjoyed the story Kyle :)))) Let me guess- you want a shout out on my blog too?

    Maddie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give you a shout out in today's blog

    ReplyDelete