Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Importance of Living: A Great Read

This week, I have been reading the book "The Importance of Living". I'm only 3 chapters in, but I love it. Unlike most philosophers, Lin Yutang (the author, duh) is easy to read and puts things in perspective well. He is slow paced so that you don't get confused and raises good questions that you wouldn't think to ask yourself. Chapter 2 was about religion, and Yutang covered 3 different religions: Taoist-Confucianism, Greek paganism and Christianity. He did a great job of explaining each one and actually asked good questions that made me think.

I have found my self looking up the other religions that I otherwise wouldn't have out of curiosity. I'm also writing a set of papers on the chapters of the book, and they will be up on The Book Stack by tonight. I'm only on my third one, and that may be the last one. I'm not sure. I definitely recommend this book though, for anyone 13+. If you like philosophy, that is. If not, you probably won't like it. Pick up a copy from my dad's store Buy-Buy Momma- it links right through to Amazon and if you use his store to link to the site, we get a cut of what you pay! It costs you nothing extra, but part of it goes to us.

If you read the book, leave me comments below and tell me what you thought of it!

Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment