Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Christmas: What it Actually is and What We Make it Out To Be

Each year, Christmas seems to appear earlier and earlier- last year, it popped up at about Thanksgiving time, and the year before a bit after Thanksgiving. THIS year, I actually saw two of my neighbors put up Christmas lights BEFORE HALLOWEEN. Over the years, Christmas has become more and more commercialized, so much so that the true meaning of Christmas has been distorted and forgotten. What is the first thing that pops into your head when you think of Christmas? I really doubt you think of Jesus' birthday. Instead, you probably think more along the lines of gifts, food, and decorations.

Pop culture and many businesses have shoved Christmas at us as a big PRODUCT. Nothing to do with Jesus (unless, of course, they can sell more decorations). On the first Christmas, the only gifts given were to Jesus himself! Since then, it is to my belief that it has been blown out of proportion more, and more, and more. Most tradition has been wiped out of it. Stores stock up around Halloween time to start selling christmas ornaments, trees, gifts, and food- AND WE ALL GO FOR IT! Christmas music started playing a week before Thanksgiving near us (I flipped through stations and heard "Feliz Navidad" playing) and it actually put me off.

I remember when I was really little, we'd start listening to Christmas music as soon as we knew it was on the radio. The past couple of years, no one has really wanted to listen to it because by the time Christmas ACTUALLY rolls around, you feel like if you hear ONE MORE FREAKING CHRISTMAS SONG, your brain will explode. I don't know. I think this year we're saving the Christmas music for the week before Christmas, but I'm not sure. Speaking of the week before Christmas: that's the week we always get our Christmas tree! A few of my friends have already had their trees up for a few weeks, and my church even started selling trees a week before Thanksgiving. UGH. By the time Christmas comes, if you got your tree too early, it ends up dead! Not fun or nice at all.

Well, I've ranted enough for today. Leave me comments below on what you think about Christmas!

Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment