Friday, October 24, 2014

Writers Block

Today, I am having an extreme writer's block. For those who don't know, a "writer's block" is something many bloggers and authors get. Basically, you have NO IDEAS and all your inspiration has run out so you end up writing something silly (like I am doing right now). To make things worse, I have TWO blog posts to catch up on instead of my regular one because the internet went out last night while I was working. It didn't come back until today, so I was caught. Up until now I've been doing math homework and avoiding my blogging like the plague, but the time has come...

...to go take a walk down the driveway with my dog. Maybe I will find some inspiration now!

Well, the walk never happened- I got outside and I noticed that Lucky was walking funny. I went over to see if he had maybe been "porcupined" or had a scrape, but as I walked closer he fell over and went into a full-blown seizure. I think that he must have had a muscle spasm that sent him into it. I didn't want to leave him alone, so instead of running into the house to get help and wet rags (you have to keep the temperature of the dog down to avoid brain damage) I stayed on the driveway and used wet leaves in lieu of wet rags. It had the same effect and Lucky was back to his normal self within 2-3 minutes.

How To Care For a Dog Having a Seizure

1) Don't flip out. You don't want the dog to have any more tension than it already has. Remaining calm is key- you can't care for a hurting dog without a clear mind.
2) The dog's legs will likely lock up. Try to move the legs in clockwise motion to loosen up the dog's muscles and relieve the tension. The joints should ease up as you do this.
3) Use cold, wet rags to keep your dog's temp down. Lay them across your dog's forehead and rub the nose with cold water.

The dog should pull out of a seizure within 3 minutes. He will start licking and then moving more and finally get up. I advise letting your dog outside to go to the bathroom at this point just in case he needs to relieve himself.

Well, I went out looking for something to write about and I certainly found it- even though I would rather have written about the gorgeous fall foliage than how to care for a dog when he has a seizure. Let me know if you have any "siezure tips" in the comments below.

Maddie


No comments:

Post a Comment