Thursday, August 23, 2012

Baltasar Gracian



Gracian was a Jesuit, and as a child he lived with his uncle, who was a priest. His father was a doctor, busy most of the time. He studied at a Jesuit school when he was 20, and in his 30's, committed himself to teaching at a Jesuit school.
The Jesuits were an elite Catholic race dedicated to preserving the Catholic Faith. They played a major role in the Counter-Reformation. They were a very smart race, known for their deep research of the bible. By writing a book totally unrelated to God, Baltasar got in trouble with the head of the Jesuits.
Later in life, Gracian wrote the book THE ART OF WORLDLY WISDOM. He wrote a few other books that are not as well-known as well, but the head of his order didn't like his writing style and the cheekiness of it. He was punished by only being able to eat bread and water.

"Reticence is the seal of capacity. A heart without a secret is an open letter. Where there is a solid foundation secrets can be kept profound- there are specious cellars where important things may be hid. 

Reticence springs from self-control and to control oneself in this is a true triumph. You must pay ransom to each you tell. The security of wisdom consists of inner temperance. The risk that reticence runs lies in the cross-questioning of others, in the use of contradiction to worm out secrets, in the darts of irony. To avoid there the prudent become more reticent than ever. What must be done need not be said, and what must be said need not be done." - Baltasar Gracian, The Art of Worldly Wisdom.

I agree with this statement all the way. I would hate to have my every move predicted just because I was totally open to everyone. I keep my secrets to myself, though I sometimes tell SOME to my friends. I usually pay the price for telling them. Some of my friends cannot keep a secret to save their lives.

I think that Baltasar might have been too open with his feelings in his book, and that's why he got punished. His superior thought it was too much off of the beaten path of God, and didn't like the honest truth that he told.



No comments:

Post a Comment