Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Old Sturbridge Village

Today, me and my Dad went to a place in Massachusetts called Sturbridge Village. It is a colonial style town meant to be from the 1830's.  Different people will dress up as people from that time period, and teach children about the art they are trained in, such as pottery. Me and Dad visited: The Potter, The Shoemaker, and a lady who was baking.

Sturbridge was not just people though. I also met rams, sheep, albino turkeys, cows, and even some oxen. The oxen were trained to line up in a row for tourists, and to tilt their heads while being put in a yoke ( No, oxen do not eat eggs. A yoke is a kind of bridle for oxen to wear ).

 A lady who was baking a lot of goods told us she was preparing for Thanksgiving. Can you believe that it was the most important holiday back then? People didn't even celebrate Christmas. I learned a lot about what cooking was like back then. Pickling and drying foods was useful for preserving harvest for winter, and being there was no such thing as electricity, all of the food was cooked by fire.

I thought the food looked very tasty until I saw the flies. They were sitting right on the apple pie, and the lady did not even care. It turns out people back then didn't care if they were eating flies ... or that they had to sleep in the same room that they ate in, washed in, and did schoolwork in. Houses were not very big back then, and were about the size of you average barn shed. The only big houses were owned by very rich people. Being rich was tough, which I found out in the shoe store. Cobblers back then were only paid 20 cents a pair of shoes! And a pair of girls shoes, on average cost 95 cents!

It was a very interesting experience for me. I hope that I will go there again in the near future, perhaps with my little sister. It was an enjoyable trip, and it taught me a lot of things that I never knew before.

Next post,
Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment