Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Reading Mom's Poetry

Today I got around to reading some of my mom's poetry- it was lying on the ground near my Dad's desk, and since the internet was out and I had nothing better to do, I decided to read some of it. I read the first one I picked up and I automatically needed to read more. I read through all of the ones I could find and after I was done, I felt somehow... closer to Mom than before. Reading her poetry and attempting to decipher it gives me a clearer view into who she was- who I never really got to meet.

Reading and re-reading the poetry made me realize that she had a lot of the same emotions I had, but at a different degree. Mom really DID have a gift for poetry, even from her teen years. It wasn't just pansy stuff either... most of it is really deep and emotional. I actually teared up a few times reading them. One of Mom's goals in life was to publish a poetry book... but unfortunately she didn't get to. My Dad is compiling her poetry together and is going to publish a book for her so that she will have reached one of her goals, even if after death.

It will likely be published later this year, and if not then next year. We are already 50 pages in and by the time we are done there will hopefully be 150-200 pages worth of poetry. I hope that you will enjoy it.

Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment