Monday, January 5, 2015

Bath-Haverhill Covered Bridge

Bath-Haverhill Bridge- not my picture
For those who don't know, Dad and I enjoy searching for covered bridges in our spare time. On occasion, we take a weekend and drive around to look for them to visit them. It was our belief that there were 13 covered bridges in New England, but a quick Google search proved us wrong- there are in fact 54 covered bridges in NH alone. We have visited 9 out of those 54 so far and intend to visit the rest throughout the year. I saw the long list and decided to look up the oldest standing bridge and found that it was the Bath-Haverhill bridge in Bath, NH.

It was built in 1829 by Moses Abbott and Leonard Walker after Ariel Miner left his position as the superintendent of the project. It has been repaired 3 times since its original construction- once because of an ice storm, once because of arson and once just for regular repairs. The total cost for repairs was about $46,000 over the years. It blows my mind that someone would want to burn these bridges- a few years back, 3 covered bridges were burned and arson was suspected... the bridges are often times historic landmarks, who would want to get rid of them? Not only are they old, but I find them beautiful and rustic in their own way.

This weekend, my family and I went to visit 4 bridges that are relatively close to us and I got pictures. I will add pictures to this post later, due to the fact I am too lazy to go charge up my iPod and add photos- being my pictures were better than my dad's this trip ;)

Have you ever visited a covered bridge? Leave me a comment.

Maddie






No comments:

Post a Comment