Monday, August 11, 2014

Outdoor Activities

During the spring, summer, and even fall, my sister and I love to be outside playing, gathering berries and doing fun activities. Here is some of what we do that entertain us:

Berry Picking
We have wild blackberries, blueberries AND strawberries growing in our yard- especially blackberries. However, not everyone has this luxury, so you can turn this into a gardening project also! Blueberry bushes are best bought and planted in the early spring, while blackberry bushes should be planted in the late fall. The bushes are best put in the sunlight for best harvest- but be careful, because many of the wild versions of the fruit carry viruses.

Bouquet Making\
I used to enjoy playing around with flowers when I was about 6-7, and I still do. I love braiding wildflowers into my sister's hair and making small bouquets- I take 3 long strips of grass, braid them, tuck some assorted wildflowers into the braid (sometimes I make 3-4 braids) and then tie everything together with another strip of grass.

Wildlife Observing
In New Hampshire, there is abundant wildlife almost EVERYWHERE. We live deep in the woods, so we get a LOT of wildlife wandering through our yard. Over the years, we have seen skunks, chipmunks, squirrels, deer, turkey, porcupines and many, many birds in our yard and have friends nearby who have seen a bear and moose in their yard. Just the other day me and Ashleigh were walking down the driveway when we spotted a chipmunk on the rockwall! We got about 3 feet away from it before Lucky scared it off.

I hope you enjoy some of these activities! Leave me a comment below telling me what your favorite activity is!

Maddie

P.S. If you want to buy berry bushes, you can pick some up on Amazon! Before heading to amazon, check out my Dad's post on how to keep berries SUPER FRESH and use the link to his store to put you through to amazon. It is at no extra cost to you- and if you buy something through that link, we get a commission!

Dad's Article: http://buybuymomma.weebly.com/home/a-very-berry-good-idea-for-you-today

No comments:

Post a Comment