Monday, August 25, 2014

How to Care for an American Toad

I remember when I first caught a toad, and I wanted to know how to care for it. I looked online, but I couldn't find more than one or two sites that gave good information. Here is one more contribution to help people who want to keep a wild toad.

First off, you'll want a nice sized tank to keep the toad in- you want it to be comfortable. A small toad can live comfortably in a 10 gallon fishtank. Line the bottom of the tank with about 2-4 inches of dirt for your toad to burrow in. I suggest keeping half of the soil moist (on one side of the tank) and the other half dry, as toads absorb moisture through their skin. I bought a fish tank "house" for my toad to go in to feel safe, as in the wild they often burrow in dark, secluded places.

I also have a small pool of water in the tank for my toad to use the bathroom in. I recommend cleaning the pool once every two days, as it can infect the tank if not changed. To clean the pool, run it under hot water for about 5 minutes. Then, put the pool back in and fill it with cold water. I also have a small mirror in the tank that my toad enjoys looking in.

For food, I catch grasshoppers, grubs, and crickets in my yard during the spring, summer and fall. In the winter, you can buy crickets at your local pet store. Toads need to be fed about 4-5 medium crickets once every two days, so keep a jar ready to catch bugs in. In the winter, I suggest buying a heating light/pad for the tank so that your toad doesn't catch cold.

Last but not least, remember that your toad will take a bit of time to get used to you and it's new surroundings. You'll be able to tell that it is settled when it starts burrowing- give the toad about a week. If you want, you can pick up your toad, but be warned- they do pee when they get scared. Have fun with your toad, I hope these tips helped. Let me know in the comments if you have any tips that I missed!

Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment