Thursday, December 5, 2013

Toads

I was very worried yesterday because my toad was sick- he kept shaking and quivering in his back legs. I cried because I thought he was going to die, but then I got serious and started looking for the problem. At first, I thought he was shedding his skin, but it wasn't that. I examined his legs, but they seemed fine (apart from shaking). So I went to Dad, and I think he diagnosed the problem perfectly- a live cricket.

When the toads eat, they don't chew (for lack of teeth). They just grab it with their tongue and suck it down. Dad thinks that maybe a cricket wasn't fully digested and was moving around inside my toad giving him a stomachache. I gently massaged my toad's belly for awhile and then put him back into his home. When I went to bed, he was still quivering, but by the time I got up he was burrowed next to the pool and his legs weren't shaking anymore.

I nudged him a little to see if his legs would start up, but they didn't, so I would say he is better. I am just going to let him rest today, and hopefully he can fully recoup by tomorrow.

Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment