Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Setting Of: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court



King Arthur’s Castle- Dungeon

Mark Twain Version: While Mark Twain didn’t describe the dungeon at all, going on reference from other medieval castles, here is how I would have described the dungeon.
Clarence led me down a spiraling, narrow stone staircase to the darkest, lowest part of the castle. When we got down, I had trouble seeing. It was very dark in the dungeons, and the only light came through tiny barred windows only big enough for a cat to walk through. The floor was ice cold, and as I walked through the dungeon to my cell, I could hear rats squeaking and I could smell rotting hay and dead rats. When I got to my cell, I was locked in. It was a relatively small cell, maybe 12 feet by 12 feet. In the cell across from me and all around me, I could hear the whimpers of prisoners. I felt more and more closed in. The only thing keeping me company was a wet, moldy pile of hay that I was supposed to sleep on. I preferred the stone floor.

King Arthur’s Castle- Courtyard

Mark Twain Version: I was lost. There was no help for me. I was dazed, stupefied; I had no command over myself; I only wandered purposelessly about like one out of his mind; so the soldiers took hold of me, and pulled me along with them, out of the cell and along the maze of underground corridors, and finally into the fierce glare of daylight and the upper world. As we stepped into the vast enclosed court of the castle I got a shock; for the first thing I saw was the stake, standing in the centre, and near it the piled fagots and a monk. On all four sides of the court the seated multitudes rose rank above rank, forming sloping terraces that were rich with color.
My Version: The guards dragged me from my cell early in the morning and told me I was to be burned at the stake. Upon hearing this, I laughed. They couldn’t be serious. I was dragged roughly up the stairs and into the blinding sunshine. The day was breezy and the sky was bright blue. I was walked to the large courtyard. I looked around me and saw hundreds of people staring at me. There were large, high up bleachers all around, all in bright colors. The grass was burned and brown from the sun. A muddy path led up to the stake. Near to the stake was a pile of dried wood. The bleachers cast a shadow over the courtyard as everyone stood up to see who was being burned. Everything seemed so big; it felt like I was as little as a mouse.

Valley of Holiness
Mark Twain Version: We made good time; and a couple of hours before sunset we stood upon the high confines of the Valley of Holiness, and our eyes swept it from end to end and noted its features. That is, its large features. These were the three masses of buildings. They were distant and idle temporalities shrunken to toy constructions in the lonely waste of what seemed a desert- and was.
My Version: We were very tired when we finally reached the cliff overlooking the Valley of Holiness. It was a deep gap with a few buildings scattered in it. It was a desert, with bones of animals that had gone without water for too long scattered across it. The sun was setting behind this desolate scene. As we made our way down into the valley, it grew very cold. The sky darkened and the stars came out. If you looked up from the Valley, you felt like you could see all the stars in the sky. It was such a difference from the bone dry ground and empty desert we were walking through. Nothing could be seen for miles from level ground, and the buildings that seemed so close from above were not.
The Small Pox Hut
Mark Twain Version: Mark Twain did not describe the hut very well, only stating that it smelled foul and that it had a thatched roof, making it obviously the home of a peasant.
My Version: When we first saw the cabin, we both knew it was the home of a peasant. It was in shambles, the roof was caving in almost, there was but one dusty window on the whole house and the door stood ajar all the way. We entered the cabin and smelled death. It smelled like corpses that were a week old. A thin layer of dust covered everything in the room, which wasn’t much. A small straw bed was crammed into a corner near a ladder that was missing a few rungs. On the bed was the corpse of a man, and it had flies all around it. Upon climbing the ladder we entered a small loft, where light was coming in from the window. There were 3 straw beds lined up along the wall. The floor creaked underneath us as we explored. There wasn’t much to see, as the beds were the only thing in the room except a threadbare rug.
The Death Cave (Cave where Hank dies)
Mark Twain Version: Everywhere dead men were lying outside the second fence- not plainly visible, but still visible; and we counted fifteen of those pathetic statues- dead knights standing with their hands on the upper wire.
My Version: I and Clarence entered the cave without our army, fearing that they would make too much noise. As we walked, the stalagmites and stalactites got so long that they almost touched tips in places. A long, chain-link fence ran through the cave, and hung up on in were many dead bodies of knights. They smelled of rot. But farther ahead in the cave was a far different smell. Smoke! Ahead we could see the dim glow of a small campfire. Around it sat many knights, polishing their armor and boasting. In the ceiling above the fire there was a large hole so that the smoke could get out and not trap the knights in a cave filled with smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment