Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Talking

Last night, Dad and I went to Walmart to get some stickers for my sister (she's homeschooled and the stickers encourage her to do better) and while we were there, everyone seemed to want to stop to talk us! Usually, when we go out in public, no one talks to us. But last night was different... first, a lady stopped my Dad and tried talking to him... unfortunately, her disruptive child was wreaking havoc in another part of the store and she had to run after him.

Next, an old man in a wheelchair stopped to talk with us while we were looking at DVD's. He seemed talkative, but also lonely... while Dad did most of the talking, I did appreciate listening to the man recount his life over the past 30 years as he seemed full of interesting stories. We would have talked with him longer, but it was already 8:30 and dinner was already made at home. I felt... bad for him, in a way. He seemed very lonely, like he didn't get to talk to people much.  I'm glad we stopped and talked with him for 20 minutes before moving on.

Finally, the cashier who checked us out was in a chatty mood and rambled on to us about her boyfriend and how she had to wake him up at 3:30 for work because he apparently refused to wake up to an alarm clock... she mumbled about what his work was and said something about her mom too, but all I could think was "How and why are you putting up with him!? Let him wake himself up, geez..." but I didn't say anything. Then, home we went... but I'm glad people talked to us.

Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment